- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Additional melted butter, optional
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a saucepan over low heat, heat yogurt, water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Pour over dry ingredients; blend well. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 portions. Roll each into a 10-in. rope. Shape rope into an “S”, then coil each end until it touches the center. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. If desired, brush tops with additional butter while warm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Yogurt Yeast Rolls in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p33
Reviews for Yogurt Yeast Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2015
"Best Ever !!"I first found this recipe in my sample taste of home about 3 years ago still making them today i even make it as a bread they stay very soft for many days love it :)"