Yogurt Wheat Bread Recipe
“I love this whole-grain bread because it makes a pretty loaf with a great texture," says Carol Forcum of Marion, Illinois. "It's not at all heavy…in spite of the whole-wheat flour and wheat germ.”
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 to 2 cups bread flour
- 1. Let yogurt stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, wheat germ, sugar, oil, salt and yogurt. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough bread flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 92 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC