This tender marinated chicken gets its zing from chili powder and cumin. For variety, Naheed Saleem of Stanford, Connecticut sometimes adds a tablespoon of tomato paste to the marinade or replaces the chili powder with chopped green chilies. It's a surefire hit of summer cookouts.
- 1/2 cup fat-free yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, oil, ginger, sugar and seasonings; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Prepare the grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken over drip pan and grill chicken, covered, bone side down over indirect medium heat for 2 minutes. Turn; grill 25-35 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Yogurt-Marinated Chicken in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p20
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Yogurt-Marinated Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review