- 10 cups shredded yellow summer squash (about 4 pounds)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 6 tablespoons canning salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon each celery seed, ground mustard and ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large container, combine squash, onions, green pepper and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, vinegar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add squash mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into six hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Refrigerate remaining relish for up to 1 week. Yield: 6 pints.
Reviews for Yellow Summer Squash Relish
Sort By :
"We really like these but just a little too sweet. I have read that you shouldn't change a recipe for canning products. Does that go for sugar too? I wanted to reduce the sugar to 3 cups. I added jalapenos and really liked it."
"Yummy! My first batch made 4 days ago has disappeared - everyone who tried it wanted a jar and I just can't say "no" to family and neighbors. So I am on my second batch -this time I am adding some jalapenos. I will post the results :) I am debating weather or not I should even bother to hot water bath can the jars - I think they will be eaten so fast I may just keep them in the fridge.So I made another batch with 4 jalapenos. Tastes exactly like the first batch - yummy but NO kick. I am on batch number three with 7 jalapenos, 4 poblanos, 4 serranos and 2 habaneros (what i had in my garden yesterday) again it is yummy, but not much "kick" I swear I am not a smoker and i do still have my tastebuds intact! Any suggestions?"
"I doubled the recipe and made 12 pints. Incredible!! We had some on top of our black beans for lunch right away and it was incredible. This is a great way to use up the extra squash!"
"My Mum gave me a heap of squash from her garden and I'm really not a fan of it on its own. So this recipe was a great and easy way to I use it up. I added two large chillis, for some extra bite, yum!"
"I bought a jar of Yellow Squash Relish at a farmers' market -- she described the method and I'm sure, based on that as well as the ingredient list, appearance and taste, I'm pretty sure she used your recipe! I'm ready to can the second batch and learned the following from the first one: Pack down the cups of squash. My first batch had a bit too much brine for the solids. Also, I added a green pepper and a half of a red pepper to the recipe. Love the color it adds. Next time I'll probably use a whole red pepper. I also ran a little short of yellow squash on the second batch so filled out the amount with zucchini. Nice recipe! As a bonus, it also looks very pretty on the pantry shelf!"