Yellow Squash Soup Recipe
"Delicate and lemony, this squash soup would set the stage for a memorable ladies luncheon. It's the best of late summer in a bowl." —Heidi Wilcox, Lapeer, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium yellow summer squash, seeded and cubed
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onions and leek in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add squash; saute 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- 2. Discard thyme sprigs. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in lemon juice and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and lemon peel. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 90 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC