- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 8 to 10 saltines, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Saute squash and onion until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; stir in chilies, crackers, and salt and pepper. Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. casserole. Top with cheese. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Yellow Squash Casserole
Sort By :
"I made this tonight and it was a hit. My elderly father doesn't like too many different vegetables, so I am always looking for new ways to cook the few that he does eat, such as squash. I used 10 saltines but I may try fewer crackers and/or another type of cracker next time. I didn't really care for the texture of the crackers in the casserole. This is definitely a keeper."
"Sounds good but this recipe needs a picture. I like to know what things are supposed to look like."
"Didn't have green chilis on hand so I chopped some red and yellow peppers I had and sautéed them with the squash, also had bacon flavor Ritz crackers. It was great! Will make again and try the green chilis next time."
"I loved how the chilies kicked up the flavor. Since I was short on time, I sauteed the onions and squash until tender, then stirred in the chilies and added the crackers and left the cheese melt on top. Yum."
"This is a definite keeper! My family loved it!"