Yellow Squash Bake Recipe
Golden, crumb-topped oven entrees are the quintessential image of comfort food and this one fits the picture perfectly. “A friend gave me the recipe,” Lisa Eldridge writes from Topeka, Kansas. “It’s excellent.” With crushed saltine crackers, squash and lots of cheese, the savory side dish is ideal for chasing chills.
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2-1/2 cups crushed saltines, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place squash in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well. In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup butter until tender; add squash and gently combine. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. In another large bowl, combine eggs, cream, 4-1/2 cups cheese, 2 cups saltine crumbs, salt, pepper and remaining butter. Pour over squash mixture; stir gently to combine. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and saltine crumbs. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and crumbs are golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece: 443 calories, 37g fat (24g saturated fat), 187mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein .
Reviews for Yellow Squash Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC