Yellow Squash Bake Recipe
Golden, crumb-topped oven entrees are the quintessential image of comfort food and this one fits the picture perfectly. “A friend gave me the recipe,” Lisa Eldridge writes from Topeka, Kansas. “It’s excellent.” With crushed saltine crackers, squash and lots of cheese, the savory side dish is ideal for chasing chills.
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2-1/2 cups crushed saltines, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well. In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup butter until tender; add squash and gently combine. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine eggs, cream, 4-1/2 cups cheese, 2 cups saltine crumbs, salt, pepper and remaining butter. Pour over squash mixture; stir gently to combine. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and saltine crumbs. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and crumbs are golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Summer Squash Casserole in Light & Tasty
Reviews for Yellow Squash Bake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >