Yellow Split Pea Soup Recipe
"This is a great new twist on traditional pea soup," remarks Lynn Jurss of Thousand Oaks, California. "It tastes wonderful and has a sunny yellow color."
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound dried yellow split peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil and butter until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Add peas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender.
- 2. Stir in lemon juice, cumin and pepper; simmer for 5 minutes. In small batches, puree soup in a blender; return to the pan. Heat for 4-5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and pistachios. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 374 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Yellow Split Pea Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC