- 4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Place three teaspoons cumin in a small skillet; cook over medium heat for l minute or until aromas are released. Stir in lime juice and oil; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine turmeric and remaining cumin. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the water, rice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Cool. Stir in onions and half of the lime juice mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add the rice mixture and remaining lime juice mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup each).
Originally published as Yellow Rice & Black Bean Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p230
Reviews for Yellow Rice & Black Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 8, 2012
"We loved the variety offered by this filling rice dish-the only thing we are intending to change the next time we make it will be to cut down on the cumin. Althougth it was delicious it was a little spicier than we're used to."