Chipotle peppers turn up the heat on a colorful rice dish brimming with black beans. It can be served hot or cold.—Rose Rodwell, Bergen, New York
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Place three teaspoons cumin in a small skillet; cook over medium heat for l minute or until aromas are released. Stir in lime juice and oil; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine turmeric and remaining cumin. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the water, rice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Cool. Stir in onions and half of the lime juice mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add the rice mixture and remaining lime juice mixture; toss to coat. Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup each).
Originally published as Yellow Rice & Black Bean Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p230
Reviews for Yellow Rice & Black Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 8, 2012
"We loved the variety offered by this filling rice dish-the only thing we are intending to change the next time we make it will be to cut down on the cumin. Althougth it was delicious it was a little spicier than we're used to."