Yeast Corn Bread Loaf Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add the cornmeal, milk powder, butter, sugar, salt, 1-1/4 cups flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 129 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Yeast Corn Bread Loaf
"An interesting way to make cornbread. Super easy and tasted great with soup! I also doubled the recipe like rutharriet did (to have one loaf to freeze) and had no problems with that."
"The picture looks nice, but I'd like to replace the all purpose flour with a gluten free whole grain flour. what would be a good substitute for the all purpose flour, maybe yuca flour?"
"Easy and delicious."
"I straight out doubled the recipe to get two loaves. Had only buttermilk powder so had to use that. Also I used a mixture of white whole wheat flour and bread flour. My substitutions worked and this bread was awesome."
"i really like it"
"this is wonderful"
"This bread is awesome! Easy to make and everyone loves it!"