- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Rub garlic onto roast, then coat with flour. In a large Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Add the tomato juice, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- Add potatoes; simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove bay leaf. Remove roast and slice; serve with vegetables and gravy. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Yankee Pot Roast in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Yankee Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review