Yankee Bean Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups dried navy beans
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup chopped celery leaves
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1. Place the beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Set beans aside. In the same pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 3. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in carrot and celery leaves. Return beans to the pan. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 4. Stir in the milk, molasses, salt and bacon. Remove about 2-1/2 cups of soup; cool slightly. Place in a blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 315 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 847mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 13g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Yankee Bean Soup
"This soup is great and so easy. A keeper for sure. Thanks"
"This is just like I remember as a child! I am intrigued to try the molasses!"
"I tried this recipe and was very pleased with the results.The mollasses add a twist to the flavor of the soup."