Xylophone Cakes Recipe
Our son, Alex, came home from school telling me it was his turn to bring in a snack for his class. The snack had to use the letter of the week, which happened to be 'X'. My husband came up with the idea of the xylophone and it delighted Alex's classmates and his teacher.—Michele Cascais, Mendham, New Jersey
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed
- Yellow, green, orange and red gel food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- M&M's minis
- 28 miniature marshmallows
- 28 pretzel sticks
- 1. Cut each cake widthwise into seven 1-in. slices. Trim a diagonal slice from the long sides of each slice, angling slightly, leaving 1 in. wide at a short end.
- 2. Use food coloring to tint the frosting. Carefully spread or pipe stripes on cake slices; top with M&M's. For mallets, press a miniature marshmallow into one end of each pretzel stick. Yield: 14 cakes.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC