Our son, Alex, came home from school telling me it was his turn to bring in a snack for his class. The snack had to use the letter of the week, which happened to be 'X'. My husband came up with the idea of the xylophone and it delighted Alex's classmates and his teacher.—Michele Cascais, Mendham, New Jersey
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed
- Yellow, green, orange and red gel food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- M&M's minis
- 28 miniature marshmallows
- 28 pretzel sticks
- Cut each cake widthwise into seven 1-in. slices. Trim a diagonal slice from the long sides of each slice, angling slightly, leaving a 1-in. width at one short end.
- Use food coloring to tint the frosting. Carefully spread or pipe stripes on cake slices; top with M&M's. For mallets, press a miniature marshmallow into one end of each pretzel stick. Yield: 14 cakes.
Originally published as Xylophone Cakes in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p40
Reviews for Xylophone Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review