Wyoming Lamb Stew Recipe
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 lamb shanks (about 6 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain, reserving drippings. Reserve bacon for garnish; refrigerate.
- 2. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add lamb shanks, one at a time and shake to coat. In bacon drippings, brown shanks on all sides; drain. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender; skim fat. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 569 calories, 31 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 1,423 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 49 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.