Worth It Lasagna Recipe
I break out this lasagna recipe whenever I need to feed a crowd. It has such an abundance of tasty ingredients. Often, I'll serve one pan to guests and freeze the other for a family meal later.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 55 min. + standing YIELD:24 servings
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 packages (24 ounces each) frozen cheese ravioli, thawed
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 18 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring first five ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved, stirring often.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in raisins and Italian seasoning; add to sauce. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion until moisture has evaporated. Stir into sauce. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, spinach and grated Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- 3. In each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes, layer with 1-1/3 cups sauce, half of a package of ravioli, 1-1/3 cups sauce, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, six half slices of provolone cheese, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese and 2-1/2 cups spinach mixture.
- 4. Top each with six half slices of provolone cheese, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, 1-1/3 cups sauce, remaining ravioli and sauce, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, six half slices of provolone cheese, sliced tomatoes and remaining Monterey Jack cheese (dishes will be full).
- 5. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC