Worth It Lasagna Recipe
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 packages (24 ounces each) frozen cheese ravioli, thawed
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 18 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 5 large tomatoes, sliced
- In a Dutch oven, bring first five ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved, stirring often.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in raisins and Italian seasoning; add to sauce. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion until moisture has evaporated. Stir into sauce. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta, spinach and grated Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes, layer with 1-1/3 cups sauce, half of a package of ravioli, 1-1/3 cups sauce, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, six half slices of provolone cheese, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese and 2-1/2 cups spinach mixture.
- Top each with six half slices of provolone cheese, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, 1-1/3 cups sauce, remaining ravioli and sauce, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, six half slices of provolone cheese, sliced tomatoes and remaining Monterey Jack cheese (dishes will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Worth It Lasagna(10)
Sort By :
This is definately worth the work. It is pricey and time consuming... but it is so worth it. I am not a fan of raisins, but I made it exactly how the recipe stated the first time. For me the raisins didn't add anything special so I omitted them after that. Again I am not a fan of raisins. That is the only change I made. I make this at least once a month. Everyone loves it and begs me for the recipe. it has become a mandatory part of our Thanksgiving dinner and basically most other celebrations. I asked my family the one thing they wanted the most for Thanksgiving dinner and everyone of them said this lasagna. And i love that it makes two dishes... you are going to need the second one!!!
All the family really liked this and had a 2nd helping. I would not add the raisins next time as I didn't feel that they added any special taste. This is expensive to make and does take quite an effort. I didn't have any of the ingredients so had to purchase everything...my bill was $35 and I only purchased enough to make 1 pan!
This lasagna is the BEST recipe ever! I modified it slightly. I did not use the raisins. I goofed and only had one pound of mushrooms. That really did not make a difference. I also did not add the spinach nor the sliced tomatoes. By accident I bought the shredded cheese mixture that has the parm, mozz, asiago, etc... That turned out to be a great mistake. I also added a pinch of nutmeg to the ricotta.
My husband is not a huge fan of pasta but had three pieces of this and wanted it for lunch and dinner the next day. I shared the other 9 x 13 pan with family and received huge compliments.
This is the only lasagna I will make. It just doesn't get any better than this!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Lasagna Dinners >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >