- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, pesto, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, salt and pepper; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion and peppers in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the spinach, chicken and tomatoes; cook until spinach is wilted.
- Drain pasta; place in a large serving bowl. Add the chicken mixture, tomatoes and pesto mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Worth Every Penne
"It was a good recipe but won't make again. Tasted like I poured italian dressing over it. Just wasn't worth the effort for me."
"Excellent recipe. My version of this recipe was a little different. I used 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings as my recipe called for the addition of 4 slices of sodium reduced bacon. I would keep the bacon but switch up the bacon drippings in my recipe for the olive oil in this version, much healtheir!!"
"This was very good. The only difference I did was to use regular tomatoes as I did not have any cherry tomatoes."
"It tastes wonderful, it is healthy and easy to make. Can serve room temperature or hot."
"This penne salad is very good to eat and one my family makes when we have all the ingredients. It's a keeper and going in my recipe box."