World's Best Waffles Recipe
I pride myself on being a good cook who learned everything about baking and cooking from my very patient mother. Credit also goes to my father, who suffered through my many less-than-successful experiments!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Beat egg yolks lightly; beat into yeast mixture. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, salt and nutmeg; stir into yeast mixture just until combined. Add butter and mix well.
- 2. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- 3. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 12-16 waffles (about 6-1/2 inches).
1 serving (1 each) equals 218 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC