Woodcutter's Stew Recipe
I originally found this recipe in one of my many cookbooks and modified it to suit my family's tastes. It's the only soup or stew they regularly ask me to prepare.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces fully cooked Polish sausage
- 1. In a blender or food processor, process the tomatoes until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the next eight ingredients; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices; cut each slice into quarters. In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage; drain. Add to lentil mixture with reserved tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 serving (2-1/4 quarts).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC