Wonton Pot Stickers with Soy Reduction Recipe
Bok choy is a type of Chinese cabbage with white stems and dark green leaves. In a pinch, regular cabbage will do. These appetizers—full of sausage, cilantro, ginger, and onion—freeze so well, I always make large batches. Then I have extras to pull out of the freezer at a moment’s notice.—Michael Angelo, Spring, Texas
- 1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- POT STICKERS:
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped bok choy
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 45 wonton wrappers
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
- 1 to 4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine mirin, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Stir in basil; steep, covered, 2 minutes. Cool slightly; discard basil. Transfer sauce to a freezer container.
- 2. For pot stickers, combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Add pork; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- 3. Place about 1 tablespoon pork mixture in center of each wonton wrapper. (Cover wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten wrapper edges with water. Fold one corner diagonally over filling and press edges to seal.
- 4. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; freeze, covered, until firm. Transfer pot stickers to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer.
- 5. To use pot stickers: Thaw sauce in refrigerator overnight. In a large skillet, place a greased steamer basket over 1 in. of water. In batches, arrange frozen pot stickers in a single layer on basket; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, 12-14 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in filling reads 160°. Remove pot stickers from steamer; repeat with remaining pot stickers, adding additional water as needed.
- 6. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. In batches, brown steamed pot stickers 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding additional oil as needed. Serve with sauce. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen (about 2/3 cup sauce).
Reviews for Wonton Pot Stickers with Soy Reduction
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2012
"I served these as appetizers for a dinner party - everyone loved them!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC