Wonton Pot Stickers with Soy Reduction Recipe
- 1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- POT STICKERS:
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped bok choy
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 45 wonton wrappers
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the mirin, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Add basil; cover and steep for 2 minutes. Remove basil and discard. Cool sauce and transfer to a freezer container.
- 2. For pot stickers, combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Crumble pork over mixture and mix well.
- 3. Place about 1 tablespoon pork mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten edges with water. Fold one corner diagonally over filling and press edges to seal.
- 4. Place on a waxed paper-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet; freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use pot stickers: Thaw sauce in the refrigerator overnight. Arrange a fourth of the pot stickers 1 in. apart in a greased steamer; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 12-14 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160°. Repeat with remaining pot stickers.
- 6. In a large skillet, cook pot stickers in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with sauce. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen (3/4 cup sauce).
1 pot sticker with 3/4 teaspoon sauce equals 62 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.