- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 pounds confectioners' sugar
- COOKIES & CREME BONBONS:
- 1/2 cup cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- 1 pound white candy coating, melted
- CHOCOLATE-COVERED CHERRIES:
- 54 maraschino cherries (about two 10-ounce jars), patted dry
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- In a large bowl, combine butter and milk. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until a smooth dough is formed. Divide in half; cover with plastic wrap.
- For bonbons, stir cookie crumbs into one portion of dough. Shape into 1-in. balls. Dip into white candy coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm.
- For chocolate-covered cherries, shape remaining portion of dough into 1-in. balls; flatten to 2-in. circles. Wrap each circle around a cherry and gently reshape into a ball. Dip into milk chocolate coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 9 dozen.
Reviews for Wonderful Candies Two Ways
"Before dipping cherries in chocolate, pop them in your freezer to freeze just a bit. Once they thaw, there will be a juice inside like store kind. My sis-in-law did this all the time."
"You can use the same recipe and add different flavors for the dough (cream filled) chocolate candy. I like cherry, almond, and orange. Leave out the maraschino cherry. Don't put too much in as the dough will be runny, just add enough for flavor."
"I tried to make these today. The cookies and creme were terrible - I think it needs more cookies. And the white filling has a very heavy "milk" aftertaste. And there is no easy way to dip them. Will never make them again."
"Excellent! I used cherries with stems which made it super simple to dip. These are so much better than the store bought boxed cherries. Didn't make the recipe with cookies. If you only make chocolate covered cherries, there is enough to wrap about 6 jars of stem on cherries."
"I haven't tried the cookie version yet, but the cherries disappear quickly. Delicious!"