Wonderful Candies Two Ways Recipe
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 pounds confectioners' sugar
- COOKIES & CREME BONBONS:
- 1/2 cup cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- 1 pound white candy coating, melted
- CHOCOLATE-COVERED CHERRIES:
- 54 maraschino cherries (about two 10-ounce jars), patted dry
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine butter and milk. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until a smooth dough is formed. Divide in half; cover with plastic wrap.
- 2. For bonbons, stir cookie crumbs into one portion of dough. Shape into 1-in. balls. Dip into white candy coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm.
- 3. For chocolate-covered cherries, shape remaining portion of dough into 1-in. balls; flatten to 2-in. circles. Wrap each circle around a cherry and gently reshape into a ball. Dip into milk chocolate coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill until firm. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 9 dozen.
1 each: 127 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Wonderful Candies Two Ways
"Before dipping cherries in chocolate, pop them in your freezer to freeze just a bit. Once they thaw, there will be a juice inside like store kind. My sis-in-law did this all the time."
"You can use the same recipe and add different flavors for the dough (cream filled) chocolate candy. I like cherry, almond, and orange. Leave out the maraschino cherry. Don't put too much in as the dough will be runny, just add enough for flavor."
"I tried to make these today. The cookies and creme were terrible - I think it needs more cookies. And the white filling has a very heavy "milk" aftertaste. And there is no easy way to dip them. Will never make them again."
"Excellent! I used cherries with stems which made it super simple to dip. These are so much better than the store bought boxed cherries. Didn't make the recipe with cookies. If you only make chocolate covered cherries, there is enough to wrap about 6 jars of stem on cherries."
"I haven't tried the cookie version yet, but the cherries disappear quickly. Delicious!"
"We loved the chocolate covered cherries. We don't like cookies and cream so we didn't make them. I used dark chocolate and a mini muffin pan with liners. I put some melted chocolate in the bottom of each cup - about 1 tsp. Then I put the dough ball with the cherry - I used a little less than a 1 inch ball of dough. Finally, I covered the ball with more chocolate. They taste even better the next day. I experimented with some of the dough by adding peppermint flavoring until it had the flavor I wanted. Then I shaped it into disks, and painted it with dark chocolate. We think it tastes as good a peppermint patties. We will make both the cherries and the peppermint often."
"I use a plastic fork for dipping chocolates and extra chocolate can run thru the fork then place on wax paper. took a candy course and learned that technique."
"love this recipe I soak the cherries in whiskey for a week or two before making"
"I have made them in the past and I left the stems on. Hold on to the stem and dip the cherries. It makes a beautiful presentation."
"I have the same question as re dipping them in chocolate. Want to make for husband to take to work but afraid they'll never look like those in the photo"
"but how do you dip them in the chocolate to get them to look like that?"
"My husbands says these taste like Russel Stover except fresher! We're going to give them as gifts at Christmas time!"
"These are wonderful! Shared them with co-workers and they all raved about how good they were. Will definitely use these candies as gifts!"
"eveyone loves these!!!! totally amazing!!! i make them all the time!!!"
"I love these, but the ones in the stores are so much. I have now made 4 batches in the past month and the fly off my desk at work. They are great and make great gifts too. I have already shared the recipe with 4 friends."