Witches' Brew with Broomsticks
While growing up, my boys enjoyed helping me make this beverage with "broomsticks." Now I use the recipe with my grandchildren. —Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 8 orange candy slices
- 8 cinnamon sticks (5 inches)
- 8 pieces black shoestring licorice (10 inches)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup red-hot candies
- 6 cups milk
- 3/4 cup instant chocolate drink mix
- For broomsticks, on a lightly sugared surface, roll each orange slice
- into a 1/4-in.-thick triangle. With wet scissors, snip bottoms of
- triangles to resemble broom bristles. Wrap pointed end of each
- around a cinnamon stick. Coil a licorice piece around the top of
- each orange slice to secure to cinnamon stick; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and red-hots to a boil, stirring
- frequently until dissolved. Whisk in milk and chocolate drink mix.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until hot. Pour into cups or mugs.
- Serve with broomstick stirrers. Yield: 8 servings.