Witch's Hat Soup Recipe
Get into the Halloween theme with this cute soup created by our Test Kitchen. With a mix of vegetables, beans and seasonings, it's a thick and hearty broth with a kick of spice that heats up Halloween menus.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Canned pasteurized cheddar cheese snack
- 1. Spritz tortillas with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning. With a 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out four circles from each tortilla (discard scraps). Cut a slit into the center of eight circles; shape each into a cone and secure with toothpicks.
- 2. Place circles and cones on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, vegetables, beans, tomatoes, sugar and remaining taco seasoning. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Discard toothpicks. To assemble hats, place cones on circles; pipe a band of cheese around base of cones. Ladle soup into bowls and top with hats. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC