Witch's Hat Cake Recipe
You don't need a special pan to put together this fun witch cake using a packaged cake mix, prepared frosting and assorted candies. She'll come together so quickly, you'll think it's magic!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- 3 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- ASSORTED CANDIES: Large marshmallow, 2 brown M&M's, 1 spearmint leaf, one 6-inch piece red shoestring licorice and a burnt peanut
- 1. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Place 2 tablespoons batter into each of five paper-lined muffin cups. Spread remaining batter in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. square baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Cool cake for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Cut cake into an 8-in. x 8-in. x 6-in. triangle. Cut the cake scraps into two 4-in. x 4-in. x 3-in. triangles. Save the remaining cake for another use.
- 4. For hat, position the large triangle on a 16-in. square covered board. For the face, place the two smaller triangles below the hat with the 3-in. sides touching the base of the hat. Arrange cupcakes around the edge of the face. (see diagram/photo).
- 5. Place 1 cup frosting in a bowl; stir in baking cocoa. Place remaining frosting in a bowl; tint green. Frost witch's hat with cocoa frosting. Frost remaining cake and cupcakes with green icing.
- 6. Cut marshmallow in half. Place on cake for eyes; add M&M's for pupils. Add spearmint leaf nose, red licorice mouth and a burnt peanut wart. Yield: 10-12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC