- 3 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon green food coloring
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, egg, grated cheese, butter, sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, food coloring and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down; let stand for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a 10-in. rope. Cut in half. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush egg white over breadsticks; sprinkle with shredded cheese. Place an almond slice at the tip of each. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with marinara sauce. Yield: 32 breadsticks.
Reviews for Witch's Hairy Finger Breadsticks
Sort By :
"Kinda plain, just garlicky. Wish that I had just used frozen dough like the other reviewer."
"Very good and fun too look at"
"These were so fun and looked great on the Halloween party table. I used frozen bread dough to make them and just added the food coloring to the egg white and brushed it on. Just remember to brush all sides of the dough. After it had risen, some of my fingers were not green on the sides. They still looked awesome and were a big hit. Will be making again next year."
"These turned out great! I adapted the recipe for use in my bread machine."