VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package cake mix of your choice (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 24 Bugles
- 12 chocolate wafers, cut in half
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Green paste food coloring
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- Assorted candies: miniature chocolate chips, black licorice twists, black shoestring licorice and purple Nerds
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes; cool completely.
- For witches' hats, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip a Bugle in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Position on a chocolate wafer half, forming a witch's hat. Place on waxed paper to dry. Repeat with remaining chocolate, Bugles and wafers.
- For hair, in a small bowl, combine the chow mein noodles, sugar and cocoa; set aside. Tint frosting green; frost cupcakes. Insert witches' hats into cupcakes.
- For eyes, cut miniature marshmallows in half and pinch slightly; attach miniature chocolate chips with frosting for pupils. Place on cupcakes. Add pieces of licorice twists for noses, shoestring licorice for mouths and Nerds for warts. Arrange reserved chow mein noodles on cupcakes for hair. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Wicked Witch Cupcakes in Taste of Home Halloween Party Food 2007, p31