Katie also shares this recipe, which has an interesting story behind it. "According to our family, if you break a Wishing Cookie in three pieces and eat all three without speaking, your wish will come true," she relates.Katie Koziolek, Hartland, Minnesota
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- the egg, molasses, water and orange peel; mix well. Combine the
- flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to
- creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Cover and chill
- at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut
- into stars or desired shapes and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.