Wisconsin Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup each diced celery, carrots and potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt to taste
- In a Dutch oven, add the peas, water and ham bone; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Set aside ham bone until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut ham into bite-size pieces. Return to the soup and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Wisconsin Split Pea Soup(9)
Sort By :
Wonderful! I subbed broth for water
I also used chicken broth in addition to the water. I added more veggies and instant potatoes to thicken. I also add a bay leaf while simmering.
This soup was delish! Only changes I made was to sauté the veggies first with minced garlic before putting them in the soup. Also used one quart of veggie broth along with the water. Forwarded this recipe to family.
... It was rather thin so I added some instant potatoe flakes and it thickened it up just right... This is a fantastic recipe ... I should add too: I didn't have any parsley flakes, so I didn't put any of those in... I didn't have any garlic-salt so I just added garlic powder with a sprinkle of salt... I did have marjoram though and I probably put in a full teaspoon of that... I used a smoked spiral-cut ham with a lot of meat on it still... They're right, those bones are "hot" when you pull them out to take the meat off... It's really great though... I think I'll add a bit more carrots, celery and potatoes, too ... This is a fun recipe, cuz you can add & subtract and it still turns out Great .!!! :) ...
This was yummy! I'm excited to make this throughout the winter.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >