Wisconsin Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup each diced celery, carrots and potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt to taste
- In a Dutch oven, add the peas, water and ham bone; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Set aside ham bone until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut ham into bite-size pieces. Return to the soup and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Wisconsin Split Pea Soup
Sort By :
"Excellent! My spouse normally hates split pea soup but she loved this."
"I've been making this soup since I found it in Taste of Home! That's been over 13 years ago! You can make the recipe as written or change it up to your liking . Either way it's always delicious!! Thank you Linda Rock for submitting it!!"
"This is by far the best pea soup recipe ever!! I've made it without meat and it is equally delicious. Don't know if you have ever tried yellow split peas, but they take pea soup to a whole new level, I very seldom use the green anymore, they have a slightly sweeter taste and are oh so smooth. I have also made this with smoked sausage, absolutely delicious............smokiness all through the soup. If you need to thicken your soup (once the soup is done) cook on high speed from 10 - 15 minutes, stirring constantly or the soup will stick and burn, and can't have that..................BON APPETITE!!"
"I always use a potato masher to mash up the peas to make a thicker soup.I also use 1 quart vegetable broth along with water for a richer tasting soup. I use chopped ham instead of ham hocks. It is a good basic recipe that you can change and season to your taste."
"I have made this soup many times, and it is very good!!"