Wisconsin Potato Cheese Soup
This recipe was handed down to me by my mother. I was raised on a farm and these ingredients were readily available in our area. We have many potato farms nearby, and, of course, being "America's Dairyland," there's always plenty of cheese and milk for this great-tasting soup. —Darlene Alexander, Nekoosa, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute celery
- and onion until tender. Add potatoes and broth. Cover and simmer
- until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- In batches, puree potato mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Return to saucepan. Stir in milk and seasonings. Add the cheese and
- heat only until melted. Garnish with croutons and parsley. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,029 mg sodium,