Wintertime Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bouillon, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in kidney beans and cabbage; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 12-15 minutes longer or until cabbage is tender. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Wintertime Beef Soup(13)
Sort By :
Excellent soup. I didn't want to use 1 1/2 cans of the tomato juice and only half of my 15 oz tomato sauce so I just used one 11 oz can of tomato and a 15 oz can of tomato sauce instead. It turned out perfectly. I also added a little bit of fresh basil. Will be making this again!
it was very good added two potatoes
This was a excellent dinner soup! It's so hearty, almost like a stew, especially the leftovers that thicken up a bit. It made enough to feed 3 adults and 2 kids for 2 meals. I used the bagged shredded 3-color slaw for the chopped cabbage for convenience, and I added that and the beans at the same time as the other stuff instead of at the end because I like my beans and veggies cooked soft instead of crisp-tender. My whole family loved this, even my 4 year old, who gobbled it up! I served it with shredded cheddar on top and homemade dinner rolls. Also, I used regular tomato juice (not reduced sodium) and then omitted the added salt instead. Very yummy!
I substitute ground turkey. Makes a lot and I can share with friends.
Very good. I forgot the beans though and added carrots.
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >