Wintertime Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce, bouillon, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Stir in kidney beans and cabbage; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 12-15 minutes longer or until cabbage is tender. Yield: 8 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
1-2/3 cups equals 238 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 703 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.