Winter Warm-Up Soup
"We love soup all year-round, so we came up with this recipe for times when we cannot get a lot of fresh vegetables," explains Miriam Appelbaum of Manalapan, New Jersey. She often substitutes cream-style corn and cooks the pasta in the broth instead of cooking it separately.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced and quartered
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onion and mushrooms in oil until tender.
- Add the broth, carrots, potato and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Add the
- pasta, corn and tomatoes to soup; cook 5 minutes longer or until
- heated through and the vegetables are tender. Yield: 10 servings
- (2-1/2 quarts).