Winter Veggie Stir-Fry
"My husband and I own and operate a 160-Holstein dairy in western Washington," writes Julie DeRuwe of Olympia. "He commutes one way to the dairy, and I drive the other way to my job in Kent. Even with our busy schedules, we still find time to share our favorite hobbyvegetable gardening. We enjoy our bounty year-round in dishes like this delicious stir-fry."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced parsnips
- 1/2 cup sliced onion, separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup julienned potatoes
- 1 cup julienned sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the carrots, parsnips
- and onion in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes and
- ginger. Stir-fry for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are
- crisp-tender. Add the broth, orange juice concentrate, salt and red
- pepper flakes. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender. Uncover; cook and stir until sauce is thickened, about 2
- minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 102 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.