Winter Vegetable Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans with green chilies
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Hot cooked macaroni
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the celery, onion and garlic in oil for 7 minutes or until tender. Add the next 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 2. Stir in beans. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve over macaroni. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 100 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Winter Vegetable Bean Soup
"I didn't serve this over macaroni like the recipe said. I put 1/2 c 'pressed barley' in the soup. Very good...I also added 1 can rinsed black beans in it. Would definitely make this again!"