Winter Vegetable Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans with green chilies
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Hot cooked macaroni
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the celery, onion and garlic in oil for 7 minutes or until tender. Add the next 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 2. Stir in beans. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve over macaroni. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
1 cup: 100 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 439mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Winter Vegetable Bean Soup
"I didn't serve this over macaroni like the recipe said. I put 1/2 c 'pressed barley' in the soup. Very good...I also added 1 can rinsed black beans in it. Would definitely make this again!"