- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) refried beans with green chilies
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Hot cooked macaroni
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the celery, onion and garlic in oil for 7 minutes or until tender. Add the next 12 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in beans. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve over macaroni. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Winter Vegetable Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p8
Reviews for Winter Vegetable Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2010
"I didn't serve this over macaroni like the recipe said. I put 1/2 c 'pressed barley' in the soup. Very good...I also added 1 can rinsed black beans in it. Would definitely make this again!"