I always get compliments when I serve this quiche to my hungry crew. Our grandchildren especially love it for breakfast. The sweet flavor of the Swiss cheese and squash really comes through.—Mary Detweiler, Middlefield, Ohio
Recommended: 54 Amazing Ways to Love Winter Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup mashed cooked winter squash
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk milk, squash, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; pour over cheese.
- Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Winter Squash Quiche in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p45