Winter Squash Muffins Recipe
Moist, scrumptious and studded with raisins, these easy muffins from Mary Detweiler in West Farmington, Ohio make a lovely breakfast treat or round out a meal with fall-fresh flavor.
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pureed cooked winter squash
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, squash, buttermilk, honey and butter. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill half full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 144 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC