Winter Squash Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pureed cooked winter squash
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, squash, buttermilk, honey and butter. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill half full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 144 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Winter Squash Muffins
"Used others suggestions to add the clove & nutmeg and they turned out delicious! Used acorn squash ~ they were very moist, my 1 year old gobbled them up!"
"These were very good but I would like a bit more spice to mine. Next time I'll try adding some nutmeg & maybe some cloves. Overall though, I really like these especially with the whole wheat flour. Great way to use up the leftover cooked squash."