Winter Squash Muffins
Moist, scrumptious and studded with raisins, these easy muffins from Mary Detweiler in West Farmington, Ohio make a lovely breakfast treat or round out a meal with fall-fresh flavor.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pureed cooked winter squash
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl,
- whisk the egg, squash, buttermilk, honey and butter. Stir into the
- dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill half
- full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin equals 144 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,