Winter Squash Casserole
I can’t imagine celebrating the holidays without including this comforting casserole on my menu. You can use any sweet variety of winter squash, but delicata is my personal favorite.Gloria Jarrett, Loveland, Ohio
5 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cups mashed cooked delicata or butternut squash
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the
- heat. Stir in the squash, bacon, cheese, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine bread crumbs
- and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated
- through and top is lightly browned. Yield: 5 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cook, mash and measure the squash the day before. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before using and proceed with recipe.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 266 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 655 mg sodium,