Winter Squash Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups mashed winter squash
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, squash, sugar, butter and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch the dough down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Winter Squash Bread
"Wonderful bread! I meant to review this when I first made it, but I forgot. I just finished the second loaf that I had sliced and put in the freezer. I used molasses instead of sugar, and that gave the bread a nice "mellow" color. I also added 1/2 cup multi-grain cereal and 1 cup of pumpkin seeds to the mix. I used vegetable oil instead of butter. Will definitely make this again. It made delicious toast!!!"
"What a wonderful recipe! I don't make homemade bread very often, but this recipe was easy to work with and the results were absolutely delicious! Even though my husband is not a huge fan of whole wheat, he had 3 pieces of bread for supper and told me he was glad the recipe made 2 loaves. I will definitely be making this again!"
"This was such a wonderful tasteing bread. My husband and I ate half a loaf when it first came out of the oven. It was great in sandwiches and toasted. I even froze one loaf for later on, and it was just as tasty as fresh. Glad I tried this...thanks for the recipe! I would give 5 stars, but I don't seem to have any stars to click on ;-("
"This bread turned out real nice. I was expecting it to be a bit sweet based on the comments made regarding birthday cake. It is not sweet but still very good with the yeast taste to it and good for you with the squash mixed in."