Winter Squash Bread
One year, my son asked me to bake this bread for his birthday rather than a cake, saying he liked it better! Nowadays, our grandchildren relish each slice.Audrey Thibodeau, Gilbert, Arizona
32 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups mashed winter squash
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 2 cups all-purpose
- flour, whole wheat flour, squash, sugar, butter and salt; beat until
- smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to
- grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about
- 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased
- 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1
- Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on a
- wire rack. Yield: 2 loaves.