Winter Squash Banana Bread Recipe
“I modified my usual recipe when I couldn’t find any zucchini at the grocery store,” relates Violet Rundels of Waverly, Ohio. “I used cooked squash from the freezer section instead, along with bananas. My family loves this bread.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, allspice, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil and vanilla; add squash and bananas. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- 2. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 192 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC