Winter Squash and Bacon Casserole Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cups mashed cooked delicata or butternut squash
- 12 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the squash, bacon, cheese, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly browned. Yield: 5 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cook, mash and measure the squash the day before. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before using and proceed with recipe.
3/4 cup: 266 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 655mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.