I can’t imagine celebrating the holidays without including this comforting casserole on my menu. You can use any sweet variety of winter squash, but delicata is my personal favorite.—Gloria Jarrett, Loveland, Ohio
Recommended: 19 Side Dishes Made in a 13x9 Pan
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cups mashed cooked delicata or butternut squash
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the squash, bacon, cheese, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly browned. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Winter Squash Casserole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p105
Reviews for Winter Squash and Bacon Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review