This time of year, I can't resist butternut squash, with its bright color and fall flavor. It helps make this casserole a guaranteed hit at potlucks. — Craig Simpson, Savannah, Georgia
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 small sweet red peppers, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onions and 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, rosemary, salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining pepper flakes. Add butternut and acorn squash, cheese, red peppers and sausage mixture; toss to coat.
- Transfer to an ungreased shallow roasting pan. Cover and bake 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until squash is tender. Yield: 20 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Winter Squash, Sausage & Feta Bake in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p75
Reviews for Winter Squash, Sausage & Feta Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review