- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, salt if desired and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the beef, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Winter Oven Beef Stew
Sort By :
Wanted to try out my new Dutch oven so found this recipe. Thrilled, we loved the stew, served over egg noodles. I did add 1/4 tspn dry mustard and 1/2 tspn Worchestershire just because they were staring at me on the shelf above the stove and didn't have any thyme in the house. Will definitely make many times this coming cold season. A winner.
This recipe is super easy and absolutely delicious! I added a little red wine at the end, about 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce. My family loved it!
Today I will be making this for my third time just this winter. Of all the stew recipes I have tried throughout the years, this one is tops! Definitely a winner in my book!
My husband's not typically a stew eater, but he loved the taste the tomatoes gave it. I used diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano in them instead of stewed tomatoes. Will definitely make again