Winter Oven Beef Stew Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, salt if desired and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and set aside. Add onion to the pan and cook until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the beef, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours.
- 3. Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium broth; calculated without salt) equals 439 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 426 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein.