Winter Harvest Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the carrots, celery and onions in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the broth, potatoes, squash, apples, turnips, parsnips and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the basil, thyme and pepper; simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Garnish with additional green onions if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Winter Harvest Vegetable Soup(4)
Sort By :
great! its a lot of work but it's lmost all green light vegetables and those are free on a diet i've been following. don't be scared of the apple. i've only used each time i've made it but it really does contribute something special. i would definitely recommend this soup, and a cutting partner!
I made this soup last year in the winter...and it's a keeper...so tasty and so many great vegetables!! Cooking it now!
I used sweet potatoes instead of regular, and the result was a beautiful mixture of sweet and savory.
I love this soup. At one point in the past I gave it 4 stars, but if I could I would definitely change it to 5 now. I always use Better Than Bouillon vegetable base for the broth and I leave out the apples. The flavor is so great!
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >