- 3 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional thinly sliced green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the carrots, celery and onions in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the broth, potatoes, squash, apples, turnips, parsnips and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the basil, thyme and pepper; simmer 15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Garnish with additional green onions if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Winter Harvest Vegetable Soup
"Delicious recipe! The combination of the vegetables is very savory. It makes plenty and would be a great addition to a soup buffet."
"This was really delicious, but here's how I made it. I chopped everything and dumped all of the ingredients into my crockpot (including a teaspoon of the oil, and 1 tbsp butter for flavor). I used regular chicken broth. I didn't saute anything. It looked so pretty before it cooked, but afterwards I thought it looked rather bland and unappealing. (I cooked it on high for about five hours.) So, since I like creamier soups, I decided to take my chances and blend it all together. It's so pretty, and the flavors blended beautifully. I feel so good when I eat this soup, knowing I'm getting a heaping helping of good for me veggies. (I forgot to add the bay leaf, and I'll bet that will make it even better.)"
"great! its a lot of work but it's lmost all green light vegetables and those are free on a diet i've been following. don't be scared of the apple. i've only used each time i've made it but it really does contribute something special. i would definitely recommend this soup, and a cutting partner!"
"I made this soup last year in the winter...and it's a keeper...so tasty and so many great vegetables!! Cooking it now!"
"I used sweet potatoes instead of regular, and the result was a beautiful mixture of sweet and savory."
"I love this soup. At one point in the past I gave it 4 stars, but if I could I would definitely change it to 5 now. I always use Better Than Bouillon vegetable base for the broth and I leave out the apples. The flavor is so great!"